Does a SORN Car Need Insurance?

Share This Spread Love
Rate this post

When you declare a vehicle off the road using a SORN, you are telling the government you no longer intend to drive the vehicle on public roads. But does this mean that you no longer need to have car insurance?

What is a SORN?

UK law requires all vehicles used on public roads to be insured. Driving a vehicle on a public route without insurance can result in a fine and possibly losing your driving license. Your vehicle might also be seized if you’re caught too many times.

If you don’t want to use your vehicle on a public road, you can declare it as ‘off the road’. This requires the owner of the vehicle to register it with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

This notification prevents you from using the vehicle on the road.

Does a SORN Car Need Insurance?

A car which is declared as ‘off-road’ does not need to pay road tax or be insured. However, you can’t drive the vehicle for any other reason other than to take it for maintenance or an MOT test.

However, just because you don’t need to insure a SORN car doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t.

It’s still a good idea to insure your vehicle, even if it’s not being driven. There are still risks associated with owning a car, even if it’s not being used on the roads. For example, you can drive the vehicle to tests, and on these journeys, you could have an accident. Or your car could be vandalised or stolen.

If your vehicle is not insured you would have to pay for the repairs or replacement out of your own pocket. This can be very expensive.

So, while you don’t need insurance for a SORN car, it’s still a good idea to get coverage. This way, you can protect yourself financially in case something happens to your vehicle.

Pros And Cons of SORN

There are numerous advantages and disadvantages of registering your car as ‘off-road’. These include:

Pros of SORN:

  • You don’t have to insure your car
  • You don’t have to pay vehicle tax
  • You can still use your vehicle on private land

Cons of SORN:

  • You cannot use your car on a public road
  • When driving to an MOT centre or garage, you might be pulled over and have to explain your movements

So, while there are some benefits to declaring your cars off the road with a SORN, there are also some drawbacks that you should be aware of. Weigh the pros and cons carefully before deciding on registering your vehicle for a SORN.

How To Register Your Car For A SORN?

To tell the DVLA you’re taking your vehicle off the road, you need to send the notification. This can be done online via their website. You will need to have the 11-digit number that is included within the vehicle log book (V5C). If you do not have the log book, as you’ve lost it, you will need to notify the DVLA in writing.

You do not need to make a SORN for a vehicle you’ve sold. Instead, you need to tell the DVLA you’ve sold the car.

Once you’ve notified the DVLA that your vehicle is no longer used on the road, you need to keep it secure off-road. This can include in a home garage, on a driveway or at a secure location like Autovault. Some secure storage services will also include insurance options as part of their service, saving you money.

Read more on KulFiy

Car Insurance Options for Teenagers

The Process of Making a Claim for Car Accident Injury Compensation Through the Insurance Commission of WA

7 Awesome Advantages of Owning a Car

One Reply to “Does a SORN Car Need Insurance?”

  1. Your part does a sorn car need insurance states you can take a car for mot or maintainance without insurance WRONG any car on the road must be insured no ifs ands or buts you may take it for a prebooked mot without tax but it must be insured.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.